In today’s guest blog post, ketogenic dietitian Stacey Bessone provides some tips for celebrating the 4th of July while on the ketogenic diet. Stacey is a ketogenic dietitian, RDN, LDN, based in St. Petersburg, Florida, and a Keto Ambassador.
Fourth of July: The official American holiday for summer. It is a great day for family time, outdoor grilling and fireworks. Staying on the ketogenic diet during this holiday can be cool and tasty. Here are some suggestions for a festive, keto-friendly 4th.
- Make sugar free popsicles and frozen treats. You can make cream-cicles with heavy cream and sugar free gelatin or use water, stevia and food coloring to make your own frozen pops. It is also fun to make star-shaped frozen ice cubes using just water and food coloring. Who doesn’t want a red, white and blue stars floating in their water??
- Use the “raw meat” choice and pre weigh foods for the BBQ. Chicken, beef or your favorite protein can be cooked on the grill right along with everyone else’s protein. Just keep track of your keto portion and it will be served hot. Try a lettuce bun for your hamburger. Ribs can be tasty too.
- Make Kabobs using your favorite protein with peppers and onions. Use low-carb ranch or make another low-carb creamy dipping sauce.
- Try substituting cauliflower for the potato in potato salad or for the macaroni in mac and cheese (try this Cauliflower & Cheese recipe from KetoCal). Zoodles (spiralized zucchini) are a great substitute for pasta as well. Coleslaw can be made low in carb using mayo.
- Try grilling your carb portion of the meal. Grilled tomato, grilled zucchini or even grilled fruit (maybe a small portion of a peach) taste great.
- Consider breaking out some berries for dessert. Berries are in season and naturally low in carbs. Adding heavy whipping cream or cooking them in butter are super delicious. You can even make a low-carb fresh berry crumble, such as these 4:1 KetoCal® recipes for Raspberry Crumble and Blackberry Crumble.
- Use cookie cutters in the shape of stars to cut out sugar free gelatin into Fourth or July shapes. Try this 4:1 gelatin recipe from KetoCal.
- Remember it is not always about food. What a great day for playing outdoor games like kickball, catch, corn hole game or Frisbee. Also look on Pinterest for DIY games like Twister using spray paint on the grass or bean bag toss using paper plates and paint. It is a great day to go to the beach. If outdoors is not your thing, a good movie or show may be a good treat too.
- If you are playing outside, remember to STAY HYDRATED. This is important for everyone but especially important when on the ketogenic diet. Drink plenty of water and do not skip your meals and snacks.
Have a happy and safe 4th of July!