By Chef Rachel Finn
Summer wouldn’t be the same without popsicles. Firecracker-type popsicles were my favorite as a kid. Using Powerade® Zero as the base with a little KetoCal® 4:1 LQ makes this high ratio (fat bomb) and approximately 100 calories. For a brighter color, you can use a few drops of blue food coloring.
Full batch (1 serving): Calories: 97; Fat 9.84 g; Protein 1.23 g; net Carbohydrate 0.82 g; Fiber 0.34 g
60 grams (1/4 cup): Powerade® Zero, Red
30 grams (2 Tablespoons): KetoCal® 4:1 LQ, vanilla or unflavored
15 grams (1 Tablespoon): Powerade® Zero, White
15 grams (1 Tablespoon): Heavy Whipping Cream
60 grams (1/4 cup): 36% Powerade® Zero, Blue
2-3 drops food coloring, if desired: Blue
In either a popsicles mold, a plastic cup, or a popsicle-type zipper bag.
- Pour in 60 grams or ¼ cup of Powerade® Zero, Red into cup.
- Place either a stick or plastic stir stick in cup and freeze for 30 minutes. (Chef Rachel’s Note: Use foil over top of cup to keep stick in place while freezing).
- In the meantime, mix KetoCal® 4:1 LQ with Powerade® Zero, White and Heavy Whipping Cream.
- Remove popsicle from step 1 from freezer. Add KetoCal® mixture from Step 3 and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and add 60 grams (¼ cup) of Powerade® Zero, Blue.
- Freeze for another 30 minutes.
- Ensure popsicle is frozen and enjoy your summer treat!
Powerade is a trademark of The Coca-Cola Company Corporation and is not affiliated with Nutricia North America and has not endorsed the proposed use of their products in this recipe.
Specific brand names are referenced to ensure consistent nutritional composition necessary to maintain the medical ketogenic diet.
KetoCal® is a medical food for the dietary management of intractable epilepsy and is intended for use under medical supervision. Talk with your healthcare provider to determine if KetoCal is right for you. Brought to you by Nutricia North America. (2022)